Overview: Monster Mingle is a festive take on the classic icebreaker, “Guess Who”. As the facilitator, you will tape a photo of a well-know monster, villain, or Halloween character on the back of each of your participants. Your team will then mix and mingle with one another to answer the question, who are they and what Monster, Halloween Character, or Villain have they been assigned? You may increase the difficulty of the challenge by limiting the number of questions each participant can ask. To make the activity more competitive, keep a close eye on the room and determine a winner by seeing who is able to successfully guess their monster first.
Equipment Required: Paper and Tape. Photos of pre-selected Monsters/Villains/Halloween Characters are optional but encouraged.
Space Required: Small.
Group Size: 10 to 50 people.
Total Time: 20-40 Minutes
- 5 minutes to brief the activity.
- 10-30 minutes to mingle and complete the activity.
- 5 minutes to debrief the activity (optional).
- Create a list of Monsters, Villains, or Halloween Characters (1 per person). For example, Frankenstein, Jack Skellington, Cruella Deville, Darth Vader, Lord Voldemort, The Wicked Witch, etc.
- Brief the group on the activity. Assign each person a Monster, Villain, or Halloween Character by using a photo print out or writing it on a piece of paper. Tape the piece of paper to each person’s back. Be sure they can’t see it. Each person will have the opportunity to mix and mingle with the rest of the group. During this time, they can ask each other questions about their character.
Added Challenge: To make this activity even more challenging, you can limit the number of questions each person can ask to 15 questions. Once they ask a question, the person they ask should place a tally mark on the piece of paper that is on their back. Each guess they take also counts as one question. Once the person has asked 15 questions (or guesses), they can take one final guess and may not ask any additional questions.
- Give the teams 10-30 minutes to mix, mingle, and inquire about their monster.
- Debrief the activity (optional).
- Strategic Thinking
- Team Cohesion
Suggested Review Questions
- What did you enjoy most about this activity?
- What was challenging about the activity?
- Did you guess the correct character?
- How many questions did you need to ask?
- Who asked the least questions?