In this activity, participants will share a skills or hobby with another participant.
-Enough space for all participants to stand and move freely.
Space Required: Small to large. Can be indoors or outdoors.
Group Size: Unlimited. Participants share in pairs.
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 5 minutes for the introduction and card dispersal
- 10 minutes for the activity
- 5 minutes to review and debrief
-Participants need to have space to stand in pairs.
Running the Activity
- Explain the activity: Ask participants to find a partner.
- The objective is to share a skill or hobby that you have and teach it to another participant.
- For instance, your hobby might be golf. Teach a golf swing to another person including the stance, where to focus your eyes, importance of hip swing, etc. (without a golf club).
- A second instance would be someone who enjoys cycling. Teach the rhythm of pedal rotation, toe/heel orientation, how you should lean on the handlebars.
- Each person teaches the other their hobby/skill. Facilitating from the front, give three to five minutes for Person A to teach Person B then switch.
- Or, give them a cumulative time if the group is large and you do not want to interrupt the process.
-All participants should present one hobby/skill they would like to teach their partner.
Suggested Learning Outcomes
Activity Guidance and Notes
This activity presents a great opportunity to have participants get to know each other. It works in many different size rooms indoors and outdoors as well. It is scalable to small and large groups and requires only enough space for pairs of people to stand and move.
Suggested questions to ask:
- What skill/hobby did you learn from your partner?
- Were you surprised by your partners’ skill/hobby? Why?
- Would you be able to teach someone else what you learned based on your experience?
- What criteria did you use to decide what skill/hobby to share with your partner?
What did you notice about other partnerships in the room? Did you learn an additional skill/hobby by watching another group?