Overview: Would you like to take your team outside and get them to creatively work together this summer? Sand Trap will give you the perfect excuse to take your team to the nearest beach or lake! Your team will enjoy a change of scenery as they are challenged to work cohesively.
Teams are first given a time limit and a variety of supplies. They are then asked to construct a sand maze that includes at least three turns, traps, or obstacles. After the specified construction time has lapsed, teams will swap sand trap courses. At that point one team member will be blindfolded and the rest of the team will verbally direct the blindfolded team member through the sand trap. Once the team member finishes the course, a new team member will be blindfolded and directed through the trap. The team that completes the most successful laps within the time limit will win the activity. This activity is the ultimate test of team creativity, cohesiveness, and communication!
Equipment Required: A variety of items for each team including multiple shovels, buckets, rope. Bandanas or blindfolds for each team.
Space Required: Large, outdoor area. Preferably on a sand-covered beach or lakeshore. Can be adapted to be outside in a large grassy area.
Group Size: 8 to 80 people.
Total Time: 45 minutes to 2 hours
- 5 minutes to brief the activity.
- 20-75 Minutes to build the sand trap course.
- 15-25 minutes for team to work through the sand trap course.
- 5- 15 minutes to debrief the activity.
- Divide the group into teams of 4 to 6 participants.
- Brief the activity. Inform the participants that each team will be given a variety of supplies and will be asked to construct a sand trap course (maze) that includes at least three twists, traps, turns or obstacles for a human to navigate. Tell them exactly how much time they will be given to build.
- Once construction time has lapsed, assign teams a new neighboring trap to relocate to (the further away the better). One person will travel the sand trap course at a time. The person traveling through the trap will be blindfolded and they will need to solely rely on the verbal instruction of his/her team. The team that completes the most laps through their assigned maze will win the challenge!
- Teams build their sand trap. At the end of the specified time, have teams blindfold one team member and then relocate to a neighboring trap. Give the group a new time limit and brief them that they will now travel through the neighboring sand trap. Remind them that the person traveling will need to remain blindfolded the entire time they navigate the course. The rest of the team will verbally guide them through the trap. Team members are not allowed to assist by physically touching the blindfolded team mate.
- Once the first blindfolded team mate completes a trip through the trap, they will hand off the blindfold and the next team member will navigate while remaining blindfolded. Have the teams repeat this process until time is up. The team that completes the most successful laps within the time limit will win the activity!
- Debrief the activity.
- Team Cohesion
- Quick Thinking
Suggested Review Questions
- What challenges arose while building your sand trap course? How did you work around the challenge?
- What challenges arose while traveling the sand trap course? How did you work around the challenge?
- Did your team have a plan before you began constructing?
- If so did your plan change through the process?
- How well did your team communicate?
- Was leadership important during this activity?
- What did you enjoy most about this activity?
- What was most challenging about the activity?
- What surprised you about this activity?
- How well did you work as a team?
- What is one thing that you can take away from this activity?