In this activity, the team has to form a perfect square using rope while blindfolded.
- Rope (at least 5m, longer if there are more participants) — the ends should be tied together
Space Required: Medium. Outdoors or indoors. Ensure that there are no obstacles in the designated area.
Group Size: 4 – 8 participants
Total Time: 20 – 25 minutes
- 5 minutes to brief and setup
- 5 – 10 minutes for the activity
- 10 minutes to review and debrief
Running the Activity
- Explain the activity: In this activity, team members have to form a perfect square while blindfolded.
- Get everyone to stand in a circle while holding the rope. Once the circle is formed, they can lay the rope on the floor. Each participant then puts on their blindfold, and have them take 5 steps backwards. The task is to work together to form a square while blindfolded.
- Once the team is blindfolded, they can begin the activity.
- The activity ends when the team thinks that they have formed a square. Participants then take off their blindfolds and see the final result.
- If you have time, you can run the activity a second time and give the team the chance to do better.
- To make it more challenging, you can set a time limit or have some participants remain silent during the activity.
- If the team completes the square easily, you can also instruct them to make different shapes to challenge them.
Suggested Learning Outcomes
Suggested questions to ask:
- What problems did you encounter during the challenge?
- Did you identify a leader? How was leadership demonstrated during the challenge?
- How well did you communicate during the challenge?
- (If the activity was done in two rounds) What did the team improve on in the second round?
- What did you learn from the challenge?