A fun and energetic game for younger children. The leader shouts commands in which the group have to action as quickly as possible – the last person to complete the action is out of the game.
To play the game, name four sides of the room bow (front of the room), stern (back of the room), starboard (right side) and port (left side). The leader shouts these commands out in any order and the group have to run to side called out. If you say, “man the lifeboats”, everyone must sit on the floor. Other commands that can be used include:
- “Boom coming over” – Participants lie flat on the floor, hand clasping their heads.
- “Captain coming” – Stand to attention and salute.
- “Climb the rigging” – Mime climbing ropes.
- “Man overboard” – Grab a partner.
- “2, 3 or 4 in a boat” – In groups of 2,3 or 4 the participants sit down and mime rowing a boat.
Set the boundaries about a metre from the wall to prevent participants from into the walls.