Are you taking the time to acknowledge the successes of your team? In today’s world, life can be demanding. It is easy to get caught up in the next big project before celebrating our team’s current achievements. It is even less likely that we take a moment to celebrate the small wins and progress along the way. Although it is often overlooked and underestimated, celebration is a crucial element of team success. Celebration acknowledges your team members and their hard work. Teams who consciously take a minute to step back and recognize the wins along the way are more likely to have long-term success. Celebrations are key to morale and they provide motivation for our teams to push forward to the next milestone. Celebration can also create a mindset shift for your team, as it can create motivation to push through when they are faced with a new challenge. Celebrating success does not have to involve a large investment of time or money. It can be a simple gesture. Here are some simple ways you can celebrate the success of your team.
- A simple “Thank You” – Whether face-to-face, publicly in a meeting, or in a brief note, a thank you still goes a long way. When team member’s feel their efforts are appreciated, both commitment and engagement remain high.
- Recognition Program – Think employee of the month or a grand awards session with categories of honorees! You can send a regular email publicly acknowledging team members or host a glamorous awards session, whichever your time and budget allow. Either way, regularly recognizing your team in a fun (and slightly competitive way) boosts morale!
- Gift Cards and Vouchers – Gift cards and vouchers are a simple and inexpensive way to acknowledge your team. You can simply treat a team member to their morning coffee or provide movie tickets or restaurant gift cards for them to enjoy with a friend or spouse. Book store and online retailer gift cards are some additional great ideas. A small token of appreciation can go a long way.
- A Social Gathering – Have your team take some time away from work for a social gathering. Head out of the office for a dinner or happy hour. If you don’t have the time or money to take your event off-site, bring in some snacks and decorations to host your celebration on-site!
- A Team Day Out – Take your team out of the office for a change of scenery and a fun bonding experience. You could hit the ballpark and see a mid-day game or spend the evening at a comedy show. Would you rather have your team actively participate in an activity? Head to the bowling alley, set up a kick ball tournament or head out on a scavenger hunt. These experiences are sure to provide your team with laughs and memories!
- A Team Day Off – Sometimes the best form of celebration is as simple as a day off. Simply reward your team for all their hard work with some time to unplug, relax, and unwind on their own.
- Involve your Team- Do you want to celebrate your team’s success but you’re not sure which option is best? Turn to your team and ask them! Everyone appreciates rewards and recognition in different ways. What better way to determine the best fit then to have your team vote on their favorite options? Involve your team in a brainstorming session or send out a poll for the final decision.
Now that you have some new strategies to celebrate success in mind, consider informing your team of their potential reward at the start of your next project. The celebration can keep your team motivated as they have something fun to work towards along the way. Keep your celebration authentic, meaningful, and timely. Most of all-keep it simple and have some fun!