A quick and simple team building challenge to deliver. Participants line up in a straight line side-by-side. Ask them now to get in order of their birthdays (month and day, year isn’t necessary). The challenge is the group cannot talk at all. You’ll find they resort to sign language, nudges, someone might try to start leading. Love this activity, especially when used with a bench.
Equipment Required: None
Space Required: Minimal. Indoors or outdoors.
Group Size: 8 to 12 ideally.
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1 minute to brief and set up
- 7 minutes to achieve outcome
- 2 minutes to review
- Get the group to stand in a straight line (side-by-side).
- Brief them that they will need to get in order by Birthday (by month and day).
- The rule is that they can no longer talk. If they do start to talk then they need to start again.
- To make the challenge difficult, try blindfolding a couple of the participants.
Suggested Learning Outcomes
- Problem Solving
If possible, use a platform (bench) for the group to stand on whilst they complete the challenge. If anyone slips off then they must start again. Alternatively, get participants to hold a rope to organise the group more effectively.
You can also adapt this so they a couple of group members are blindfolded to make it more difficult. Variations to this game include: names, shoe sizes, height etc. This exercise is great for improving communication and leadership skills.